There are many things you can do to advocate for our family members and friends with chronic mental conditions. Our lawmakers do respond to contact from their constituents, and we are in the best position to raise their awareness on issues that affect us. The simple act of emailing or mailing a letter with your support for an issue does make a difference, especially if we all do it.
- Join NAMI Sacramento.
- Become a volunteer. You can make a difference.
- Learn about mental illness: Find out what
NAMI California and NAMI National are doing, learn about mental illness and current research.
- Fight Stigma
- Inform yourself about the legislative process. Learn how a bill becomes law.
- Talk to your legislators: Let your elected officials know how you feel about mental health issues. Share your experiences with them so they can make informed decisions.
Find out who represents you at the various levels of government.
- Follow these guidelines for communicating effectively with your legislators to get the best results:
- Tips on phoning and writing to elected officials at the federal level
- Making an impact when you communicate with elected officials at the federal level